Friday, April 12, 2013

Dead Sea, Dead Me?

The teacher in me just can't help but to give a little history lesson before today's blog, so bear with me ;)

The Dead Sea is located in the Jordan Valley and it is the lowest spot on earth.  In fact it is 1300 feet below sea level, and it is full to overflowing with salt and other minerals.  Actually, that is why it is called the Dead Sea, the minerals that fill it up do not allow the sea to sustain any life.

Do you know why it is so full of salt?  Well, it is the only body of water on the earth that has no outlet.  As you can see on the map above, it is fed by the Jordan River, which empties into it, but there is no outlet for the sea except evaporation.  And if you paid attention in Junior High science class, you will remember that evaporation leaves the minerals behind. 
You cannot, however, tell any of this by just looking at it.  This is a picture of what looks like any other sea or ocean, welcoming and beautiful!

Okay, okay, I am done!  But, I promise God has taught me something in all of this.

Maybe you know someone who reminds you of the Dead Sea.  Someone who is full of minerals (Bible knowledge)but has stopped contributing to the body of Christ long ago.  Someone who has become nothing more than a saturated body of saltiness, who cannot sustain life.  Often times, they look fine from on the outside because it is what is inside them that is bringing death.  It is not until they "spill out" that we realize there is something amiss.  Sadly, I would venture to say that there is at least one or two of this Salty Christians in every church.  May we never be that person! 

Or maybe, someone you know has allowed themselves to become a dumping ground for other people's minerals without finding an outlet?  I think Moms are often guilty of this.  We let our kids, or other people, evaporate all the good from us without refilling or we allow them to dump their junk without finding a healthy release for it?  Can you relate, or is it just me?

If you find yourself in either of these categories, let me remind you (and me) that Jesus came to bring life, not death.  John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  Let's not allow satan the victory here, lets chose today whom we will serve (Joshua 24:15), but as for me and my house?  We will serve the Lord!

Gotta go, need to dig a trench for that Dead Sea of mine...blessings friend! PS- I have an extra shovel if you need to borrow one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment