Thursday, November 15, 2012

Urgent News


Have you ever gotten news that was so awesome you couldn't wait to tell everyone?  Maybe you got a job promotion?  Or your son or daughter made the varsity team?  Maybe you are going to be a parent or grandparent for the first time?  Or something you have been praying about for a long time was answered?  These are incredible things, each of them, and if I had experienced any of these I wouldn't hesitate to tell the world.  I would tweet it, update my Facebook status and probably work it into my next blog....by the way my sophomore daughter made the varsity cheer team this week!  (I know, I am shameless!)

So why is it that I do not have this same sense of urgency to share the greatest news of all time?  I have been thinking about this ever since I received a phone call from my sister this morning,  She called to tell me that our cousin is very sick and that he was being life flighted for treatment.  I was never really close to him, but we grew up next door to each other and he was always kind.  In truth, we only ever had a handful of conversations but as I sit here awaiting news, it is weighing on my heart that I never, not one time, ever shared with him about the love of Christ.  The most important thing in my whole life, the thing that gives my life meaning, and I never even talked with him about it.  Actually, the sad truth is, I never even thought about telling him about Jesus' death and resurrection, about the hope of a life redeemed.  And I think that bothers me the most.  Why wouldn't I think about it? What is wrong with me?  

Now, I am not saying he isn't a believer.  I am saying I don't know where he stands, we never talked about it.  Never.  And he isn't the only person that comes to mind that I know and have not shared Christ with.  Time is drawing near, really none of us have a guarantee of our next moment.  Makes me think of a conversation I had with my Jennah when she was just a little girl.

We were snuggling down for the night and she asked me when Jesus was going to be coming back.  I told her that the Bible says that no man knows the day or the hour. (Matthew 24:36) I went on to tell her that this was the reason we always needed to be ready to meet Jesus.  She grew quiet for a few minutes as she thought over what I had said to her, and then she asked, "Why don't we just ask some women then?"

Gotta love my Jennah girl!  Truth is, none of us know when someone we love is going to be taken from this earth.  None of us know when we are going to be called home, and none of us know when Jesus is going to come back, not even any women!  We need to stay focused on the task we have before us, the great commission was the last command Jesus gave, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)  This was a message near and dear to His heart.  If it was important enough to be His last words, then I think we better pay attention!  I love the way Peter puts it, "...always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have..." (1 Peter 3:15)

So my challenge today, to myself and to you, is this:  who do you know that needs to hear about the hope that lives within you?  Think of one person, maybe someone sitting across from you at the Thanksgiving table, and begin praying now that God would give you the opportunity and wisdom to share the best news ever with them.  There is no guarantee they will be sitting there at Christmas.  Let us make the most of the time God has given us, let Ps 90:12 be your prayer, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." While your at it, maybe you could tweet about it, set it as your Facebook status, or work it into your next blog.  I just did :)

If you have questions, or aren't sure what I mean when I talk about this hope that lives within me, PLEASE feel free to contact me!



No comments:

Post a Comment