Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Consistent


As I took a walk this morning I was struck by an encouraging thought.  It occurred to me how incredible consistent the Lord is.  Every morning the sun is there to greet us and each evening the moon lulls us to sleep.  Every spring the grass greens up and the flowers start budding.  Summer always brings warmth and beauty from the ashes of winter. God is a faithful father, a consistent and reliable father.  Oh how I long to be that kind of parent to my children.  To say what I mean and mean what I say, to never break a promise or fail to be consistent in anyway.  Lord that is my prayer today.  Please help me to be consistent with my children so that they know what to expect from me.
            I wonder if that is why we get complacent.  Is it because we just expect the sun to rise? What if we woke up one morning and the sun didn’t rise??  What if spring never came to chase winter away?  I bet it wouldn’t take us long to begin grumbling and questioning God.  Why is it we often only notice the blessings when they are gone?  Maybe that is why sometimes things don’t go as WE plan.  How many of us have heard the stories of how a near death experience awoke someone to the everyday blessings in their lives.  How that kept them from taking these things for granted. But is it that God has failed to be consistent when someone gets sick or passes away too soon from this earth?  No, God never promised that life would be fair or that there would be smooth sailing.  He only promises to comfort those who mourn, to love us unconditionally, and to never give up on us.  And of course He sent His one and only son to bring us the promise of an everlasting life, should we choose to accept.
          As we head into this Thanksgiving season, will you join me in thanking God for the things we might have been taking for granted?  

                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment